Frequently Asked Questions
NeuroStar TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation)
What is NeuroStar TMS?
NeuroStar TMS stands for “Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.” TMS is a medical procedure that works by delivering highly focused MRI-strength magnetic pulses to noninvasively (without surgery) stimulate the brain and treat major depression. This magnetic field stimulate the neurons and show depression symptom relief. Patients being treated with TMS do not require anesthesia or sedation. They remain awake and alert and return to work or their daily routine immediately after each treatment.
Benefits and advantages of NeuroStar TMS
- Treatment that does not involve medications or surgery
- Outpatient treatment
- Statistically and clinically significant improvement in depression symptoms
- No interruption to daily schedule
- No anesthesia
- No undesirable effects on cognition
Few or no side effects (most common side effects are a mild headache and/or scalp discomfort)
- Less than 5% of patients discontinued treatment due to side effects in a recent study
- Safe and tolerable
- Patients do NOT have to stop taking medication in order to receive TMS
- FDA cleared
Am I a good candidate?
The best way to determine if NeuroStar TMS is right for you is by speaking with your doctor or a referring psychiatrist.
Eligibility: In order to ensure your safety, the following general requirements will need to be met prior to receiving TMS therapy:
- Currently diagnosed with treatment-resistant depression by a psychiatrist, physician, or qualified health cprofessional
- No foreign metal in the head or metallic/magnetic implants (most dental work is safe)
How often will I receive TMS therapy?
Generally, the initial course (acute phase) of treatment will involve at least 30 consecutive treatment sessions over a 6 week period (usually a 18-25 minute treatment session each day from Monday to Friday). Plus 6 taper sessions.
Insurance : Benefits will be verified upon physician recommendation for treatment.
To refer/schedule a consultation please call the
TMS Coordinator Justin at 813- 350-9500
Insurance Plans Covering NeuroStar TMS
Over 300 million patients have insurance policies that cover NeuroStar TMS Therapy through their health plans
- TRICARE (Standard and prime)
- United Healthcare/ UBH/OPTUM
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Medicare Advantage plans
(This is not a complete list of accepted insurances. Please call to have benefits verified)
Introduction to Ketamine
Introduction to TMS
Trans Cranial Magnetic Stimulation (TCMS) is Showing Great Promise, Click Hereto Learn More